American Express received the highest ranking for customer satisfaction with U.S. credit card companies, according to an annual study by J.D. Power. With an overall satisfaction index score of 835, American Express outpaced the industry average by 33 points, the company announced on Thursday.
“We’re honored to be in the top spot, especially since this recognition reflects our Card Members’ satisfaction with their American Express relationships,” said Kenneth Chenault, the company’s chairman and chief executive officer. “We’re also proud to have achieved our highest overall score ever, which is consistent with the feedback we receive directly from our Card Members. It’s a clear sign that the entire American Express team is focused on delivering exceptional products, experiences and service to our customers.”
This marks the ninth time American Express earned the highest ranking since the study was launched in 2007. The company also earned the top spot from 2007 through 2013, and shared the highest ranking in 2014.
The J.D. Power 2017 Credit Card Satisfaction Study℠ measured the satisfaction of more than 20,000 U.S. consumers. The study looked at six broad categories: customer interaction, benefits and services, rewards, credit card terms, billing and payment, and problem resolution. American Express outperformed the industry average in all six areas of the study.
Enhancing Card Member Experiences
American Express frontline employees continue to deliver Relationship Care®, the firm’s unique brand of service rooted in the idea that each customer interaction is an opportunity to strengthen relationships with Card Members.
Over the past year, American Express has also improved several benefits and services to make Card Membership easier and more rewarding. These new offerings include:
- Redefining Premium: American Express introduced a new suite of benefits for its iconic Platinum Card® in March, including a new $200 Uber Rides with Platinum benefit and 5X Membership Rewards points on eligible air and hotels.
- More Places to Use the Card: Over 1 million more U.S. merchant locations began accepting American Express in 2016, providing Card Members with even more places to use their Cards.
- Service with Memory: Customers calling for service are getting a boost from a smarter voice response system that recognizes their recent activity online and in the app, and in many cases can offer them a shortcut to the right option or care professional to assist them.
- Mobile Messaging: The company launched a mobile chat feature that connects many U.S. Card Members with a customer care professional right in the American Express App.
- Smarter, Quicker Chat: A virtual assistant is now available in online chat to instantly answer the most common questions. Need more help? No problem; customer care professionals are also available to chat 24/7.
- Lounge Access: The company announced plans to open new Centurion Lounges in Philadelphia and Hong Kong. And, it’s now easier than ever to plan for upcoming trips using the Lounge Finder to search the 1,000+ lounges in the American Express Global Lounge Collection.
- Redesigned Rewards: Members have access to a redesigned Membership Rewards® homepage with point status updates, tips for earning more rewards, and redemption options all in one spot. The website even includes personalized redemption recommendations for Card Members.
- Expanded Amex Express Checkout: Card Members can now breeze through online checkout at even more websites using the fast and secure Amex Express Checkout.
For more information about the J.D. Power 2017 Credit Card Satisfaction Study℠, visit http://www.jdpower.com/news-and-events/.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, Plenti rewards program, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, corporate card, business travel and corporate responsibility.
About J.D. Power
Headquartered in Westlake Village, Calif., J.D. Power is a global marketing information services company providing performance improvement, social media and customer satisfaction insights and solutions. The company’s quality and satisfaction measurements are based on responses from millions of consumers annually. For more information on car reviews and ratings, car insurance, health insurance, cell phone ratings, and more, please visit jdpower.com. J.D. Power is a business unit of The McGraw-Hill Companies..