Continuing American Express’ commitment to delivering exclusive access and benefits for its Card Members, American Express returns to the US Open in 2017 with new and innovative fan experiences. Through an enhanced partnership with US Open champion and entrepreneur Venus Williams, one-of-a-kind activations and hospitality and services onsite, American Express is working to elevate the overall US Open experience.
With a tradition of delivering innovative fan experiences at the US Open, this year American Express is introducing American Express Air Tennis, which uses a combination of custom-built and responsive technologies, including air haptics and an ultra-sensitive motion capture system to create an interactive live gaming experience. Located in the US Open American Express Fan Experience, players will face off against an artificial intelligence tennis opponent and compete using only their hands and natural body movements to return as many virtual tennis balls as possible. As they swing and return each shot, they will essentially feel the impact of the ball – with a timed blast of air hitting their hand.
For the second consecutive year, American Express is also partnering with Williams for a social content series that playfully showcases how she is getting ready for the US Open. The series also highlights how Williams has taken what she has learned from tennis and applied these experiences to her life off the court, namely with building two companies of her own (V Starr Interiors and EleVen by Venus Williams). Adding a new level to the partnership this year, American Express has also tapped into Williams’ passion for interior design, with the tennis star and her company V Starr Interiors providing direction on elements of the expanded Card Member Club within the US Open American Express Fan Experience at the US Open.
“At American Express, we are dedicated to providing memorable experiences for our Card Members, and the US Open continues to serve as the perfect platform for us to engage tennis fans in new and exciting ways through premium access and benefits,” said Deborah Curtis, Vice President, Global Experiential Marketing and Partnerships, American Express. “We’re thrilled to continue our partnership with Venus Williams – a Card Member, champion and entrepreneur. From delivering a newly designed Card Member Club influenced by Venus herself to a multi-sensory tennis activation, we think that we are delivering services that will truly elevate the US Open experience.”
“I’m truly excited to be partnering with American Express again for the US Open and to be highlighting both V Starr and EleVen, companies I am incredibly proud to have created and built,” said Williams. “American Express has been a wonderful collaborator in bringing this one-of-a-kind experience to life and allowing me to share my journey both as a player and entrepreneur. Competing at the US Open is always so thrilling, and I’m honored to share that excitement with the fans in such a new and unique way.”
The US Open American Express Fan Experience provides interactive opportunities and benefits that enhance the US Open for Card Members and fans. Highlights within the US Open American Express Fan Experience, as well as additional onsite benefits include:
Activities open to all US Open attendees:
- American Express Air Tennis: This year, American Express is bringing tennis fans closer to the game with American Express Air Tennis. Incorporating a combination of air haptics, motion sensors, three-dimensional sound and innovative graphics, fans will be able to feel the game in a unique way. Players will enter in one of eight bays featuring a life-sized monitor and will be able to use their hand as the racket to hit and return virtual tennis balls delivered by an artificial intelligence opponent. The experience allows players to feel the impact of their shots, while challenging them to return as many balls as possible.
- Ace Toss: American Express Ace Toss provides a fun and interactive on-site photo experience. IPhoto technology captures fans going through the entire motion of a serve from the perspective of the ball. Participating fans will also walk away with a digital photo to commemorate the moment and share across their personal social networks.
- Guest Info Hosted by American Express: American Express will host three Guest Information booths throughout the grounds to help fans easily navigate their way around. New this year, American Express has incorporated large touchscreen ground maps into each of the booths to make getting information even easier. Fans will be able to zoom in and out on the maps to help them navigate the Open.
Exclusive benefits for Card Members:
- American Express ® Card Member Club: This year, membership is put on display with a Card Member Club in collaboration with Venus Williams and V Starr Interiors. Here, Card Members will be able to relax and enjoy several complimentary services including phone charging rentals, hand massages and more. Food and beverage are also available for purchase inside.
- American Express Radio Live at the Open: The American Express Radios, exclusively for Card Members, continue to bring fans closer to the tournament, providing live commentary and updates from ESPN. American Express will distribute radios from four satellite booth locations across the grounds at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, while supplies last.
- Ace The Open with Venus Williams: American Express has once again partnered with Williams for a social content series that gives fans a unique look into how the US Open champion gets ready to Ace the Open. The two part series will live on American Express-owned social channels.
- American Express Section within US Open App: For the first time ever, American Express will have a dedicated section within the USTA’s mobile US Open App where eligible Card Members can enroll in the US Open Card Member Offer (see below), unlock an Amex Map View of the grounds and learn about everything American Express is offering throughout the tournament onsite. To access the section and enroll in the offer, eligible Card Members can click on the Amex Onsite Benefits section within the app and login with their American Express ID and password.
- US Open Card Member Offer: Card Members can enroll their eligible American Express Card to get $20 back after they spend $100+ in one or more transactions on-site at the US Open. To enroll, visit the American Express section of the US Open app, or the US Open American Express Fan Experience. Check the app or visit americanexpress.com/usopen for offer terms and exclusions, including Card eligibility for each enrollment method.
For more information on everything American Express has to offer for Card Members and fans at the 2017 US Open, visit americanexpress.com/usopen.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, Plenti rewards program, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, corporate card, business travel, and corporate responsibility.