American Express will bring Card Members and golf fans closer to the 116th U.S. Open Championship at Oakmont Country Club just outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, through offering interactive experiences focused on the mental game of golf, against the backdrop of one of the sport’s grandest stages. For the 10th year, American Express is partnering with the USGA to bring to life elevated on-site and digital elements to enhance the U.S. Open experience for Card Members and fans -- and through The Mind Game platform, provide them the opportunity to experience what it’s like to play the Oakmont course like a pro.
“As the USGA’s first partner, we’re excited to return for our tenth U.S. Open and deliver a broad range of unique benefits and services to Card Members and golf fans through our Mind Game platform,” said Deborah Curtis, vice president, Global Experiential Marketing & Partnerships at American Express. “From our experience at Oakmont in 2007 and at other U.S. Open events, we know our Card Members want to get closer to the action so we seek to provide them the tools to experience the U.S. Open at a championship level.”
American Express’ involvement at this year’s U.S. Open is highlighted by the return of the American Express® Championship Experience at Oakmont in U.S. Open Spectator Square. At the Championship Experience, American Express is giving Card Members the opportunity to “play” Oakmont’s three signature holes – #4, #8 and #18 – at the TrackMan Swing Zone – a professional-grade swing analysis to challenge fans’ mental and physical toughness on the course. The TrackMan Swing Zone will be exclusively available to American Express Card Members from 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. throughout U.S. Open Championship Week and open to the public at other times.
Other features of American Express’ involvement include:
- Oakmont: The Mind Game: Applying a mental angle to what is recognized as a staple in major championship golf – the yardage book - American Express will provide mental strategy and insights for how to best navigate Oakmont’s three signature holes –#4, #8 and #18. With large replicas of each of the holes, The Mind Game yardage book will come to life on a wall. Complementing the wall graphic is a museum style, “exploded” view of Oakmont’s three signature holes, along with tablets featuring The Mind Game tips and insights from Dr. Bob Rotella, Dr. Gio Valiante, and USGA Senior Golf Course Set-up experts.
- Complimentary American Express Radios for Card Members: The always-popular earpieces featuring Sirius XM’s live broadcast of the U.S. Open will be available for American Express Card Members throughout the Championship, allowing fans to stay up-to-date with key moments of play anywhere on the course. All American Express Radios at the Open are provided on a first-come, first-served basis and will only be available while supplies last.
- Mind Game Photo-Op: Fans will have an opportunity to feel like a U.S. Open champion. Fans will choose an inspirational quote related to the The Mind Game, which will be overlaid on top of the premium photo of themselves, and walk away with a personalized photo keepsake.
- Gift with Purchase: American Express knows its Card Members love exclusive gifts. This year, Card Members will receive a commemorative cup distributed at participating concessions stands, while supplies last, with any eligible purchase of $10 or more on any American Express Card.
- American Express’ Merchant Guide at Oakmont: Card Member benefits extend beyond this year’s Championship. American Express will provide a guide highlighting 18 popular shops, restaurants and attractions in the greater Pittsburgh area around Oakmont Country Club.
- U.S. Open Live Stream in partnership with American Express: Building on the growing demand for live content and more than six million live streams viewed during last year’s U.S. Open, fans will once again have access to three channels with more than 40 hours of live streaming coverage on usopen.com. Two channels will be dedicated to both morning and afternoon featured groups, while the third will focus on action from holes #3, #13 and #17. Exclusive viewing windows starting at 7:30 a.m. EDT on June 16 and June 17 will offer fans insider coverage before the Fox television broadcast begins at 10:00 a.m. each day. Live feeds will continue on June 18 and June 19, beginning at 11:00 a.m.
- Hospitality Packages: Hospitality packages will be available for Card Members to enjoy a private, fully catered chalet. Located off the 18th fairway, this luxury chalet offers Card Members a premium view of the closing hole and the opportunity to relax and recharge throughout the day.
In addition to the 2016 U.S. Open programming, American Express is currently offering early access to purchase tickets to the 2017 U.S. Open Championship at Erin Hills in Erin, Wisconsin. Card Members can visit usga.org/amex for additional information on how to purchase tickets before they go on sale to the general public on June 12th.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products and services: charge and credit cards, business credit cards,Plenti rewards program, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, corporate card and business travel.