American Express will give Card Members and golf fans access at the 2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Golf Course in University Place, Washington, and provide fans with interactive experiences onsite and online designed to give them an edge on the course.
“American Express once again serves unique benefits to fans during one of golf’s most anticipated and mentally-challenging events,” said Deborah Curtis, vice president, Global Sponsorships and Experiential Marketing at American Express. “Golf is a game of both competence and confidence, and we want to provide our Card Members and golf fans throughout the U.S. with a wealth of insider knowledge and useful tools to develop their own ‘mind game’ and learn what it takes to compete at a championship level.”
American Express Helps Fans Sharpen Their Mental Edge at Chambers Bay
This year’s American Express® Championship Experience provides fans with hands-on instruction and tools designed to develop their mental edge, elevate their game and take advantage of all of the action on the course and around the Seattle-Tacoma region. Experiences include:
- The Mind Game Studio: Renowned sports psychologists and authors Dr. Bob Rotella and Dr. Gio Valiante teach fans how to improve their mental focus and golf game. In addition, fans can complete a digital “Mind Game Training.” Learn more below.
- Trackman Swing Zone: A professional-grade swing analysis to challenge fans’ mental toughness on the course with staged distractions that mimic the ambient challenges the pros face. American Express enhances this analysis by allowing players to compare their swings both with and without distractions to better understand how their mental focus affects their club speed, attack angle, spin rate and ball flight.
- Find Your Focus Photo: Gives fans a chance to capture and share a GIF of their swing and the words that inspire them to play their best, which they can then post to their social networks.
- The Guest Information Desk: Provides fans with information on PLAY9™ Day, July 29, promoted in partnership by the USGA and American Express, including a list of courses near them that welcome 9-hole play. American Express also provides guests with local small merchant guides to help tourists and locals alike discover and support restaurants and shops in the greater Seattle-Tacoma region. Guides are only available while supplies last.
- Complimentary American Express CourseCast Radio for Card Members: A fan favorite, special earpieces featuring Sirius XM’s live broadcast of the Open are available to American Express Card Members throughout the tournament allowing fans to stay up-to-date with key moments of play anywhere on the course. All American Express CourseCast radios at the Open are provided on a first-come, first-serve basis and are only available while supplies last.
American Express Offers Fans At Home a New Lens on the Game
American Express is collaborating with the USGA and Fox Sports to highlight the psychological side of the game through inspiring stories about professional golfers’ trajectories and interactive challenges designed to help build fans’ mental prowess on the course.
- “The Mind Game” Vignette Series: One-on-one interviews featuring golf’s top players, including Corey Pavin, and their journeys to the Open, each revealing a different side of the psychology behind the game. The series airs on the American Express hub on FoxSports.com.
- “Mind Game Training” presented by Dr. Bob Rotella in partnership with American Express: Offers golf fans a series of online games and 10 videos with tips to help them improve their focus, perseverance and reaction time on the course. Fans can take “Mind Game Training” at the Championship Experience throughout the week.
- The Official U.S. Open Live Stream: Presented by American Express in partnership with the USGA and Fox Sports, the live stream puts fans in control of their viewing experience allowing them to choose between the Fox broadcast or live footage of action on the 12th and 15th holes, which are two of the more challenging holes on the course, commanding especially sharp mental focus from the players. The live stream provides continuous coverage of the championship from June 18 through June 21 on the U.S. Open app and USOpen.com.
Teeing Up World-Class Service at the U.S. Open
American Express Customer Care Professionals are once again onsite at the Championship Experience delivering the company’s award-winning Relationship Care® service to its customers and all event guests, helping fans take full advantage of on-course benefits and experience the exceptional care American Express provides Card Members.
In advance of The CenturionSM Studio launch in Seattle, and for the first time at the U.S. Open Championship, American Express is having a Centurion Lounge pop-up located near the 13th hole to provide an elevated level of service and experience to Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members attending the U.S. Open tournament. Throughout the week, Card Members can relax in the space and experience a variety of exclusive programs. These include fitness tips from professional golf trainer Sean Cochran, putting practice with a pro, a meet-and-greet with legendary golfers and passed hors d'oeuvres by Chef Cedric Vongerichten, The LaGuardia Centurion Lounge executive chef and chef de cuisine at the renowned Perry St. in New York. Space within the Centurion Lounge pop-up is limited and is available on a first come, first serve basis.
In addition to the 2015 programming, American Express is currently offering early access to purchase tickets for the 2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Country Club in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Card Members can visit americanexpress.com/entertainment for more information on how to purchase tickets before the general public until June 15th.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products and services: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, Plenti rewards program, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, corporate card and business travel.