From kick-off to close, American Express is bringing a host of music experiences to this year’s Tribeca Film Festival, culminating with a live streamed performance by Vampire Weekend directed by award-winning actor, director and producer Steve Buscemi as part of the "American Express Unstaged" concert series. Multiple music-related activities complete a roster of events that American Express will bring to Tribeca Film Festival fans from the latest in gourmet popcorn to the hottest red carpet moments.
"We are absolutely thrilled to bring American Express Unstaged to the Tribeca Film Festival this year," said Deborah Curtis, vice president of entertainment at American Express. "This live streamed music series celebrates the art of music through the unique storytelling abilities of visionary filmmakers. Vampire Weekend and Steve Buscemi are fellow New Yorkers and, like the Tribeca Film Festival, celebrate everything that the city has to offer. Film and music are inextricably linked, and this show will truly celebrate not only their relationship, but our long support of the Tribeca Film Festival."
"American Express has been an incredible partner to Tribeca since our inception helping us support filmmakers and bring the festival to audiences around the city and beyond; we are excited to continue that tradition this year, said Jon Patricof, President and COO of Tribeca Enterprises. "We have a long history of celebrating the connection between music and film and are especially excited that American Express is helping further this effort at the 2013 Festival."
Music Meets Film at The Tribeca Film Festival
- Opening the Festival with Mistaken for Strangers: American Express has signed on to open the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival as a sponsor of the Opening Night Gala following the world premiere of the film Mistaken for Strangers on Wednesday, April 17th. Director Tom Berninger chronicles his experience on tour with his brother, Matt Berninger, frontman for the critically acclaimed rock band The National, in this funny and affecting film, which will also play during the Festival’s 12th edition. This is the second time that American Express and The National have worked together. In May 2010, American Express live streamed a performance by the band in Brooklyn. An event that sparked what would become the award-winning "American Express Unstaged" concert series.
- Greetings from Tim Buckley: The story follows young Jeff Buckley when he was asked to participate in a tribute concert for his late musician father Tim and along the way, opens his eyes to the artistic legacy that he is destined to follow. Penn Badgley and Imogen Poots co-star in this quiet and powerful homage to those sustained by admiration, love and, in this case, beautiful music. Following the premiere, cast and crew from the film will participate in a short Q&A with audience members. American Express Cardmembers have the exclusive opportunity to purchase tickets to the U.S. premiere happening on Tuesday, April 23rd at 6:00 p.m.
- American Express Unstaged Presents Vampire Weekend with Steve Buscemi: For the first time, American Express, in partnership with VEVO and YouTube, will bring its live stream music series, "American Express Unstaged" to the Tribeca Film Festival. Vampire Weekend’s performance, directed by Steve Buscemi, will be live streamed from the last night of the Tribeca Film Festival on Sunday, April 28th at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT from New York City. Fans can watch the live event at www.amexunstaged.com, youtube.com/americanexpressmusic, VEVO’s free apps for iPhone®, iPad® and on the American Express Channel, available through the American Express app on LG connected TVs. Vampire Weekend will be brought to life for the at-home audience by director Steve Buscemi. Known best for his roles in HBO’s "Boardwalk Empire" and films such as "Reservoir Dogs," "Fargo" and many others, Buscemi has also garnered respect for his role as director of films including "Trees Lounge" and "Animal Factory," as well as multiple episodes of the award-winning shows "Sopranos" (HBO), "30 Rock" (NBC) and "Nurse Jackie" (Showtime). Buscemi’s Olive Productions will also produce the event. The creative and dynamic pairing represents the latest unique collaboration in the "American Express Unstaged" live stream music series, building on previous duos such as The Killers and Werner Herzog, Kenny Chesney and Jonathan Demme, Jack White and Gary Oldman and many more.
American Express Cardmembers® Get Access to the Best of the Tribeca Film Festival
As a founding partner of the Tribeca Film Festival, American Express continues to give its Cardmembers early access to tickets to the Festival. Beginning today through April 14th, American Express Cardmembers can purchase tickets to all Tribeca Film Festival screenings, as well as exclusive events including Greetings from Tim Buckley and I Got Somethin’ to Tell You, a documentary from Whoopi Goldberg who takes a deep dive into the late Moms Mabley’s life, legacy and work. Having broken racial and sexual boundaries as a pioneering comic, Mabley has long been an icon in the comedy world. Following the screening of the documentary on Monday, April 22nd at 6:00 p.m., American Express Cardmembers can participate in an intimate conversation with Goldberg as she discusses her passion project that shows Mabley’s profound influence as a performer vastly ahead of her time.
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit tribecafilm.com/festival/tickets.
Celebrating the Festival Throughout New York City
- Popcorn Pop-Up: American Express is bringing movie-goers’ favorite snack to the streets with an interactive mobile popcorn truck. A collaboration with Brooklyn Popcorn, the truck will offer complimentary gourmet popcorn in five unique flavors. Fans will also be able to purchase tickets to Festival screenings. The popcorn truck will be at various locations throughout Manhattan from April 13th through April 17th. To find out where the truck will be distributing popcorn, follow @americanexpress.
- Navigating the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival: Presented by American Express, the 2013 Official Tribeca Film Festival Guide will provide film snapshots, schedules and more ways to enjoy this year’s Festival season. New this year, American Express teamed up with American Express Publishing’s Travel + Leisure to offer "Tribeca Now," an insider’s guide to the neighborhood featuring local recommendations on restaurants, shopping, services and other memorable experiences to help Festival-goers plan their perfect Tribeca experience. To access this year’s guide and "Tribeca Now", visit TribecaFilm.com or pick up a complimentary copy at various locations throughout Manhattan.
- Tribeca Family Festival Presented by American Express: American Express and The Tribeca Family Festival once again present a street fair and family celebration, where a dazzling array of free activities and performances unfold downtown in Tribeca from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday April 27th on Greenwich Street (from Hubert to Chambers Streets). Festival stages will feature special performances from current Broadway shows along with emerging talent from Tribeca. Local restaurants and merchants will offer Tribeca's finest foods, refreshments and merchandise. Families can also attend a free screening of The Smurfs at BMCC’s Tribeca Performing Arts Center Theater and enjoy complimentary popcorn provided by American Express. The American Express Guest Information Booth will offer comprehensive Festival information, including event, screening and neighborhood information.
From film to fashion, sports to music, theater and more, American Express makes it easy to stay up-to-date on exclusive events by subscribing to Entertainment Access® e-mails. Sign up now at americanexpress.com/2subscribe.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and help build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/companies/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
About The Tribeca Film Festival
The Tribeca Film Festival helps filmmakers reach the broadest possible audience, enabling the international film community and general public to experience the power of cinema and promote New York City as a major filmmaking center. It is well known for being a diverse international film festival that supports emerging and established directors.
Founded by Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff in 2001 following the attacks on the World Trade Center, to spur the economic and cultural revitalization of the lower Manhattan district through an annual celebration of film, music and culture, the Festival brings the industry and community together around storytelling.
The Tribeca Film Festival has screened more than 1,400 films from more than 80 countries since its first edition in 2002. Since inception, it has attracted an international audience of more than 4.0 million attendees and has generated an estimated $750 million in economic activity for New York City.