American Express Cardmembers Get Access to CourseCast Radio, Swing Analysis and First-Ever Golf Fitness Studio NEW YORK, June 11, 2012 --
Today, American Express announced a series of offerings for both golf fans
and American Express Cardmembers to enhance the 2012 U.S. Open Championship
experience at The Olympic Club in San Francisco, Calif., including the release
of its updated Course Curator digital concierge, the first-ever Golf Fitness
Studio and the fan-favorite American Express CourseCast Radio.
"American Express is proud to provide our Cardmembers with unexpected access to the most storied events in golf." said Alexander Chang, Vice President, Global Sponsorships and Access, American Express. "This year we're not only enhancing their experience at the Championship through digital innovations, we're also helping improve their game. This holistic view for members and their deep engagement in golf exemplifies the type of service we always strive to provide."
Enhancing the Fan Experience at the U.S. Open
Located near the main entrance to the course, the American Express Championship Experience provides an extraordinary, interactive space for fans to learn more about the game of golf and the latest Championship news, improve their golf game, and enhance their experience while out on the course, including:
- Course Curator Digital Concierge – The Course Curator allows golf fans attending the event to create a customized U.S. Open experience. A short questionnaire identifying key interests will produce a customized itinerary to serve as their personal guide while on the course, with information including where and when fans can catch their favorite players, locations of desired services, and insights from golf experts. The complimentary Course Curator will connect fans on-site to social networks and will be available inside the American Express Championship Experience and at various locations throughout the course. For the first time, U.S. Open attendees can plan and prepare for their trip to The Olympic Club by visiting amexcurator.usopen.com to create their Course Curator profile and get helpful championship information, such as directions, tee times, weather alerts and much more.
- Fitness Studio & Swing Analysis – New this year, American Express Cardmembers and all golf fans at the U.S. Open can learn key exercises and conditioning methods tailored to their swing during a fitness analysis from expert golf trainer, Sean Cochran. Additionally, PGA of America Professionals will be giving lessons in one of four hitting bays located inside the Championship Experience. Following the event, Cardmembers will receive a video-enhanced instructional kit to revisit the tips received and share with friends online.
- CourseCast Radio – Presented exclusively by American Express, golf fans on and off the course can follow all of the U.S. Open action on the ESPN Radio broadcast available on ESPNRadio.com, the official iPhone Application of the U.S. Open and through CourseCast Radio earpieces. Radios will be available Thursday through Sunday. Fans can also tweet questions using #AskAmexGolf for a chance to have their question answered live, on-air by one of the ESPN golf commentators.
- The American Express Hospitality Chalet – American Express Cardmembers have access to an exclusive hospitality chalet with prime views of play. Located on the 17th fairway, this premium facility features complimentary food & beverage options providing fans with a comfortable place to relax and watch the Championship.
Continued Support of the USGA and the U.S. Open Championship
American Express is a proud supporter of the USGA and its mission to preserve golf's past, foster its future and champion its best interests for everyone who enjoys the game through innovative features online, on mobile devices and at the American Express Championship Experience, including:
- Official iPhone Application of the U.S. Open presented by American Express – American Express has partnered with the USGA to offer the complimentary U.S. Open iPhone and Android applications to provide fans with live streaming of the ESPN Radio coverage, real-time scores, course and player information, news and photos and integration into social media networks.
- USGA Handicapping – The USGA will have staff available to educate fans on golf's handicapping system and how to obtain one at the American Express Championship Experience. This new feature allows the USGA to communicate one of its core programs and golf initiatives and encourage more participation.
- USGA and U.S. Open History – Once again, American Express will feature historic USGA footage and memorabilia designed to appeal to avid players and general spectators.
In addition to the 2012 on-site programming, American Express is currently
offering early access to daily and weekly Trophy Club and 1895 Club tickets to
the 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, PA. Cardmembers can visit
usga.org/amex for more information and purchase tickets until June 17th.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/companies/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
The United States Golf Association is the national governing body of golf for the U.S. and Mexico. The USGA's most visible role is played out each season in conducting 13 national championships, including the U.S. Open. The USGA also writes the Rules of Golf, conducts equipment testing, funds research for better turf and a better environment, maintains a Handicap System, celebrates the history of the game and administers an ongoing grants program.