American Express announced today the launch of American Express Campus Edition Prepaid Card, a reloadable prepaid Card available in more than 500 Barnes & Noble college bookstores across the United States. Campus Edition Prepaid Card will provide college students with a smart spending and budgeting tool that can be used anywhere American Express® Cards are accepted.
"We're excited to partner with Barnes & Noble College Campus Bookstores to provide college students with an everyday spending card," said Laura Kelly, SVP and GM of the Americas, Global Payment Options, American Express. "American Express Campus Edition Prepaid Card is a great solution for college students looking for a way to budget and spend wisely, plus it comes with some of the same benefits synonymous with American Express."
The temporary one-time load Card(1) is available for purchase for $4.95 in more than 500 Barnes & Noble college bookstores nationwide and can be funded with multiple loading options at the register with any dollar amount from $25 to $500. Alternatively, customers can order the permanent, personalized Card online for free at americanexpress.com/campusedition. If a customer purchases a temporary Card and wants to get the full benefits of the American Express Campus Edition Card, the customer must order their permanent, personalized Card at americanexpress.com/campusedition. Once the personalized Card is activated, the funds from the temporary Card will be transferred to the personalized Card.
Once Cardmembers receive their personalized Card, funds can be loaded online through a bank account, such as a savings or checking account, and through cash loading(2) via MoneyPak or at the register at participating Barnes & Noble Campus Bookstores. The ability to load via direct deposit will be available soon. The personalized card comes with ATM access and there is no fee from American Express for the first monthly ATM cash withdrawal, after which a $2.00 fee applies per withdrawal (bank network charges also apply to any ATM cash withdrawal). There are no fees for monthly maintenance, activation, balance inquiries, alerts, Card replacement, foreign currency conversion or loading via bank account.
The temporary card can be used anywhere in the United States where American Express Cards are accepted and the personalized card can be used anywhere around the world where American Express is accepted. The funds on the temporary and personalized card do not expire, and if lost or stolen, the funds can be replaced. A customer must be 18 years of age or older to obtain the temporary or personalized prepaid Card. American Express does not market charge or credit cards to students.
Benefits and Protection
Personalized Cardmembers are entitled to valuable protections and benefits (subject to terms and conditions), including:
- Purchase Protection(3) which can protect against accidental damage or theft of eligible items for 90 days from date of purchase, up to $1,000 per occurrence and up to $50,000 per Cardmember account per calendar year.
- Roadside Assistance which provides dispatch services including towing, battery recharge, gas delivery, locksmith service and changing a flat tire.
- Global Assist ® Hotline services provide trip planning assistance as well as emergency assistance when the Cardmember is traveling more than 100 miles from home.
- Exceptional 24-7 customer service Cardmembers have come to expect from American Express.
- Entertainment Access provides Cardmembers access to special savings, exclusive events and advance tickets to some of the hottest events in music, sports and theater.
- American Express Deal Center for Cardmember discounts at select merchants.
Online management tools provide controls and full transparency for how the Card is being used. Personalized Cardmembers can:
- View real-time transaction history and monitor spending.
- Receive email or text alerts for low funds or notifications when a transaction has occurred. (Check with your mobile service provider for fees that may apply to text messages.)
- Disable/enable ATM access for the Card.
- Inquire about Card balance 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
- Schedule reloading of funds automatically.
For more information, visit americanexpress.com/campusedition.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/companies/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS), the world's largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 691 bookstores in 50 states. Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, also operates 650 college bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through BN.com (www.bn.com), one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites, which also features more than two million titles in its NOOK Bookstore™ (www.bn.com/ebooks). Through Barnes & Noble's NOOK™ eReading product offering, customers can buy and read digital books and content on the widest range of platforms, including NOOK devices, partner company products, and the most popular mobile and computing devices using free NOOK software. Barnes & Noble is proud to be named a J.D. Power and Associated 2012 Customer Service Champion and is only one of the 50 U.S. companies so named. General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
(2)Retail Fees apply for cash loading
(3)Purchase Protection is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0951 or Policy PP-IND and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy.