Consumers have once again ranked American Express highest in customer satisfaction among U.S. credit card companies, according to the annual nationwide study by J.D. Power and Associates. The study, released earlier today, places American Express highest in overall satisfaction among 11 of the largest card issuers in the U.S. American Express has received the study’s top ranking every year since it was launched in 2007.
The J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Credit Card Satisfaction Study(SM) looks at six factors to determine overall satisfaction: Customer Interaction, Billing and Payment Process, Credit Card Terms, Rewards Programs, Benefits and Services, and Problem Resolution.
“While our goal is to satisfy our customers, and not to get awards, we are thrilled to have received this terrific recognition every year since 2007,” said Kenneth I. Chenault, chairman and chief executive officer, American Express. “Hearing that we scored the highest in customer satisfaction directly from consumers through an independent and prestigious source like J.D. Power is very gratifying. Service is the soul of our company, and I’m proud of what this says about our employees all across the company and their commitment to earning the trust and loyalty of our customers each and every day.”
Enhanced Online Experience, Services, Benefits and Rewards
In the past year American Express has introduced a range of new offerings and enhancements, particularly to the online experience, in many cases as a direct response to customer feedback. For example, the company has:
- Enhanced the American Express website to provide an improved user experience, including simplifying the online Account Summary function and making it even easier to navigate.
- Introduced “tagging,” which helps Cardmembers create a customized view of their charges and simplifies the experience of managing their expenses.
- Launched an all new Account Manager feature, making it easy for Cardmembers to list additional individuals, like a spouse or a business partner, who are authorized to access and manage their card accounts.
- Launched My Offers, an industry first mobile offer engine that recommends and ranks relevant merchant offers in real time for U.S. Cardmembers based on their spending history and location.
- Introduced a new sync experience for U.S. Cardmembers using Twitter that turns customized Twitter #hashtags into savings.
- Created a new Online Financial Tools website, where consumers can educate themselves about credit-related issues such as managing and protecting their credit profiles.
Relationship Care® Service Ethos Continues Driving Loyalty and Value
The J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Credit Card Satisfaction Study(SM) found that American Express scored highest in both live and automated phone interaction. This outstanding service performance is underpinned by Relationship Care®, the company’s servicing approach that defines the way in which Customer Care Professionals (CCPs) serve customer relationships and emphasizes the resolution of queries on the first contact.
Relationship Care® has helped take American Express customer satisfaction scores to new heights and is the driving force behind a number of recently launched servicing capabilities for both our customers and the CCPs who serve them:
- Mobile Apps – As more Cardmembers manage their accounts through smart phones and tablets, we have evolved the functionality of our mobile apps to improve the customer experience. For example, customers can now gain access to exclusive American Express events, Cardmember offers and information about specific card benefits, in addition to being able to view pending card charges.
- Experiential Servicing – This exciting new channel gives Cardmembers the opportunity to receive face-to-face customer care from experienced CCPs at major American Express sponsored events. In 2012, this includes the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, NBA All-Star events, and US Open Tennis Championship, which begins next week. Over time, this offering will expand to an increasing number of American Express sponsored events.
- Disputes Resolution – The company has invested in tools that empower our Customer Care Professionals to even more effectively resolve Cardmember disputes at the first point of contact. Resolving disputes faster benefits both our consumers and merchants.
- Increased Investment in CCP Development – Over the past year, we furthered our commitment to the development of our CCPs in a number of ways, including the opening of state-of-the art facilities where our CCPs can learn to improve their performance. We’ve also refined our approach to CCP coaching to be more directly tied to customer feedback after actual servicing interactions. These initiatives help CCPs better deliver Relationship Care®, ultimately resulting in an improved experience for Cardmembers.
“Some things never get old, and hearing from your customers that you are doing a great job is definitely one of them,” said Jim Bush, executive vice president, World Service, American Express. “Service is one of the hallmarks of the American Express brand, and it’s gratifying to hear how customers value the work our teams, including our front line employees, do each and every day to deepen customer relationships through service.”
For more information about the J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Credit Card Satisfaction Study(SM), go to http://www.jdpower.com/news-and-events/.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/companies/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
About J.D. Power and Associates
Headquartered in Westlake Village, Calif., J.D. Power and Associates is a global marketing information services company operating in key business sectors including market research, forecasting, performance improvement, Web intelligence and customer satisfaction. The company's quality and satisfaction measurements are based on responses from millions of consumers annually. For more information on car reviews and ratings, car insurance, health insurance, cell phone ratings, and more, please visitJDPower.com. J.D. Power and Associates is a business unit of The McGraw-Hill Companies.