American Express today announced the launch of the University of North Florida's (UNF) Osprey 1Card, the company's first prepaid campus ID Card. Starting today, all current and new UNF students can obtain an Osprey 1Card with American Express prepaid functionality embedded in the card, allowing students the ability to use their ID Card for on campus dining meal purchases and off campus at the millions of locations around the world that accept American Express Cards.
"We are proud to provide University of North Florida students with a safe and secure payment tool with our reloadable prepaid card," said Stefan Happ, SVP and GM of the Americas with American Express' Global Payment Options business. "College students now have the convenience of a payment tool and their student ID rolled up in one convenient card."
Unlike other prepaid student ID cards, there are no fees for monthly maintenance, activation, balance inquiries, alerts, or foreign currency conversion. The funds on the Card do not expire, and if lost or stolen, the funds can be replaced. The first monthly ATM cash withdrawal is free, after which a $2.00 fee applies (bank network charges may also apply). The Card is free, however Card replacement fees apply from the University after the initial card is issued.
"We're pleased to partner with American Express to offer our students an easy and efficient way to pay for the things they want and need in one simple card, their student ID Card," said Tully Burnett, Associate Director of Auxiliary Services, University of North Florida. "Because it's prepaid, they can't overspend and the Card offers tools and alerts to help them manage their money responsibility."
The card can be loaded via bank account or cash loading via Money Pak*. Future options may include loading via financial aid disbursement and direct deposit.
Online tools provide control and full transparency into how the Card is being used. Cardmembers can:
- View real-time transaction history and monitor spending
- Receive email or text alerts about low funds, when a transaction has occurred, or when funds have been loaded on the Card
- Disable/enable ATM access
- Check Card balance 24 hours a day/7 days a week
- Schedule automatic reloading of funds
Cardmembers have access to valuable protections and benefits (subject to terms and conditions), including:
- Purchase Protection(1) which can protect against accidental damage or theft of eligible items for 90 days from date of purchase, up to $1,000 per occurrence and up to $50,000
- Roadside Assistance which provides dispatch services including towing, battery recharge, gas delivery, locksmith service and changing a flat tire
- Global Assist ® Hotline provides trip planning assistance as well as emergency assistance when the Cardmember is traveling more than 100 miles from home
- Exceptional 24-7 customer service Cardmembers have come to expect from American Express
- American Express Deal Center for Cardmember discounts at select merchants
Earlier this year, American Express announced a partnership with CardSmith, a campus card service provider. The Osprey 1Card is powered by CardSmith's campus solution services.
For more information about the Osprey 1Card, visit www.Osprey1Card.com.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/companies/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.