American Express announced today the launch of its new Course Curator digital concierge that is available during the 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md. The Course Curator gives American Express® Cardmembers a customized U.S. Open experience with suggestions on where to find the best action, concessions and course services, all based on personal preferences. Course Curator is complimentary and available at the American Express Championship Experience along with the popular CourseCast TVs and Radios featuring the official ESPN Radio broadcast, presented exclusively by American Express.
“American Express is proud to continue its partnership with the USGA to not only provide fans with unprecedented access to prestigious events, but to enhance how they experience the game,” said Alexander Chang, Vice President, Global Sponsorships and Access, American Express. “We are continuing to connect our Cardmembers and golf fans to the sport by creating innovative, digital tools that create memorable experiences and provide a greater level of service -- something they have come to expect from American Express.”
Enhancing the Fan Experience at the U.S. Open
Located near the main entrance to the course, the American Express Championship Experience provides fans with an extraordinary U.S. Open experience. An array of historic memorabilia, interactive elements and artifacts from the USGA Museum will be on display, including touchscreen applications that will provide a unique look inside the game of golf through the eyes of our nation’s presidents. With highlights that appeal to avid players and general spectators, this year's American Express Championship Experience will include:
- Course Curator Digital Concierge – New to this year’s Open, the Course Curator digital concierge service allows Cardmembers to program their day around what they want to see and know, providing a truly tailored U.S. Open experience. A short questionnaire identifying key priorities for each golf fan will produce a customized itinerary featuring where and when to catch favorite players, locations of nearby services, and tee times of golfers. Cardmembers can check-in at Course Curator kiosks located at various locations around the course to get updated information and connect with their social networks including Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare.
- ESPN Radio – Presented exclusively by American Express, golf fans on and off the course can follow all of the U.S. Open action on the ESPN Radio broadcast available on ESPNRadio.com, the official iPhone Application of the U.S. Open, and the CourseCast TVs and Radios. Fans who tweet questions using #AskAmexGolf could have their question answered live, on-air by one of the ESPN golf commentators during the championship.
- CourseCast TV – Cardmembers will have exclusive access to hand-held televisions, powered by Kangaroo TV, delivering updated player information and a live telecast of the championship as well as commentary and updates live from ESPN Radio. New this year, Course Cast TVs will feature a live Twitter feed of the U.S. Open conversation happening around the course and across the country. TVs will be available Thursday – Sunday during championship play only.
- CourseCast Radio – Cardmembers and fans can also enjoy complimentary radio devices and experience the play-by-play commentary and live updates from the ESPN Radio broadcast. Radios will be available Thursday – Sunday during championship play only.
- American Express Media Wall –Golf fans can stay updated on all the action on the course from inside the American Express Championship Experience. Featuring real-time news and highlights from the U.S. Open, the American Express Media Wall will include live scoring updates, the leaderboard, fun facts, tournament information, news and other alerts.
- Professional Instruction – Cardmembers and fans will have access to lessons by PGA of America Professionals in one of four hitting bays. Following the event, Cardmembers will receive a video-enhanced instructional experience to revisit the tips received.
- The American Express Hospitality Chalet – American Express Cardmembers have the opportunity to access one of only four on-course destinations for hospitality and golf viewing. Located on the 11th fairway, this premium facility features upgraded food & beverage options providing fans with a cool place to relax and watch the championship.
- Giveaways and Insights from the Pros – Friday through Sunday, American Express will host former Touring Professionals and industry experts in the American Express Championship Experience who will share their insights on the game and the championship. Golf fans who stop by the Championship Experience can also register for a chance to win one of seven golf bags that American Express will give away at the conclusion of the tournament.*
Continued Support of the USGA and the U.S. Open Championship
American Express is a proud supporter of the USGA and its mission to preserve golf’s past, foster its future and champion its best interests for everyone who enjoys the game. Away from the course, golf fans everywhere will be able participate in the action at the 2011 U.S. Open through the official U.S. Open iPhone application and innovative features on USOpen.com presented by American Express.
- Official iPhone Application of the U.S. Open presented by American Express – American Express has partnered with the USGA on the free U.S. Open iPhone application to provide fans with live streaming of the ESPN Radio coverage, real-time scores, course information, social networking, news and photos. Fans can also join in on the conversation using the #AskAmexGolf hashtag.
- USGA Membership – The USGA will have membership staff available at the American Express Championship Experience to redeem member-only offers including a choice of commemorative prints of the Blue Course at Congressional Country Club. Staff will also register new USGA members and provide information on rules and etiquette.
- World Golf Tour incentives made possible by American Express – American Express has partnered with World Golf Tour (WGT) to reward Cardmembers who play the online golf game and purchase WGT credits with any American Express Card. Upon checkout, users will be rewarded with double the number of WGT Virtual Pro Shop credits when using an American Express Card.
In addition to the 2011 on-site programming, American Express is currently offering early access to daily 2012 U.S. Open Trophy Club and 1895 Club tickets. Now thru June 19th, Cardmembers who purchase tickets will receive a complimentary USGA Championships Calendar. Visit usga.org/amex for more information. For full details regarding American Express' onsite activties and offers, visit www.americanexpress.com/entertainment.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, twitter.com/americanexpress and youtube.com/americanexpress.
The United States Golf Association is the national governing body of golf for the U.S. and Mexico. The USGA’s most visible role is played out each season in conducting 13 national championships, including the U.S. Open. The USGA also writes the Rules of Golf, conducts equipment testing, funds research for better turf and a better environment, maintains a Handicap System, celebrates the history of the game and administers an ongoing grants program.
* OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Void where prohibited. No Cardmember status necessary to enter or win. American Express 2011 U.S. Open Golf Championship Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”) begins on or about June 13, 2011 at 7:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on June 19, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. ET (“Sweepstakes Period”).