American Express, in partnership with VEVO and YouTube, announced today that
nine-time Grammy® award-winning R&B sensation Mary J. Blige will be the latest
performer in its popular livestream music series, "American Express Unstaged."
The performance will be livestreamed from Club Nokia in Los Angeles, at 11:00 PM
ET / 8:00 PM PT on Thursday, November 17 at
and will be available on mobile devices via VEVO and YouTube apps for iPhone,
iPod touch, iPad and Android. The event precedes the November 21st release of
Blige's highly anticipated album, My Life II…The Journey Continues (Act I).
The announcement comes just two weeks after Coldplay's record-breaking "American Express Unstaged" performance in Madrid, which generated more than 19 million streams on YouTube – the most streams ever generated by a single artist live event on the site.
"American Express Unstaged" brings together popular and iconic musical artists with renowned film directors. Mary J. Blige will be paired with filmmaker Adam Shankman (Hairspray, A Walk to Remember, and The Wedding Planner). Shankman has been tapped to provide fans with a visually stunning digital viewing and in-venue experience, which will be the seventh installment within the "American Express Unstaged" music series and the first solo artist performance. The program has featured such recognized musicians as Arcade Fire, John Legend & The Roots, Sugarland, Duran Duran, My Morning Jacket and Coldplay.
"I can't wait to share in this amazing experience with fans around the world as they join me on a timeless journey of celebration and reflection," said Mary J. Blige. "I'm really looking forward to immersing myself in Adam Shankman's creative vision for an unforgettable ‘American Express Unstaged' performance."
American Express, in partnership with VEVO and YouTube, will continue to provide revolutionary access to Mary J. Blige fans and music enthusiasts worldwide through pre-show, in-concert and post-show features and one-of-a-kind content that further blur the line between the at-home and in-concert experience:
- "Press Pass Challenge": Mary J. Blige is the second artist to be featured within the Amex Entertainment channel on the American Express Facebook page. As part of a unique "Press Pass Challenge," music fans can submit a question to be potentially used by Billboard.com editor M. Tye Comer at http://americanexpressentertainment.com during an upcoming interview with Mary J. Blige. Members of the American Express Entertainment community can vote for the questions they would most like to see Comer ask Mary J. Blige. The fan who submits the winning question will receive two tickets and backstage passes to an upcoming Mary J. Blige performance. See Official Rules for details.
- "Share the Journey" Photo Project: Fans can participate in an on-stage and online video installation by visiting www.amexunstaged.com/maryjblige and submitting photos of impactful moments that have shaped their personal journey. Select fan-submitted photos will join Mary J. Blige during the concert, which will be projected on LED screens behind the stage for one of the songs.
- Online Pre Show: Building anticipation of the night, viewers who tune in to the live-stream will catch a behind-the-scenes pre-show created by Adam Shankman.
- Behind the Scenes & "Making of" Content Series: "American Express Unstaged" will release a series of viral teaser videos, uniquely showcasing the collaboration and vision of Adam Shankman & Mary J. Blige as they reveal their secrets for the live event.
- Official Concert Trailer: Fans can get an early glimpse at the creative vision behind Mary J. Blige's "American Express Unstaged" performance by visiting www.youtube.com/MaryJBligeVEVO to view an exclusive pre-concert trailer.
- Choose Your Cam: The at-home audience can control their viewing experience throughout the show by switching between multiple cameras, capturing the excitement of the night from a variety of angles.
- Global Chat: Fans around the world can join the global chat along with the show, or invite friends to have a private viewing and chat experience on Facebook to celebrate the event.
- Free Live Tracks on Facebook: Following the concert, fans who "Like" the American Express Entertainment tab on Facebook can enjoy access to download three Mary J. Blige tracks from the evening.
- Rebroadcast: Following the live performance, Mary J. Blige's "American Express Unstaged" performance will be rebroadcast for approximately the next 10 hours and on-demand clips of the live performance will subsequently be available at www.youtube.com/MaryJBligeVEVO.
About Mary J. Blige
Since her 1992 debut, What's The 411?, Mary J. Blige has sold over 50 million albums worldwide. Among her many accolades, Blige can claim eight multi-platinum albums, nine Grammy® Awards (she has been nominated for a staggering 29) and 4 American Music Awards. Blige is the co-founder of the Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now (FFAWN), whose mission is to empower women from all walks of life to reach their full individual potential. On July 31, 2010, Mary J. Blige sold over 60 thousand bottles of her "My Life" perfume on the Home Shopping Network. Her perfume was the first to sell over 60,000 bottles in one day on HSN and $1 from each purchase was donated to FFAWN. For more information please visit www.mjblige.com.
About "American Express Unstaged"
Mary J. Blige's November 17th performance represents the seventh installment within the innovative music series "American Express Unstaged," which launched in the summer of 2010 in partnership with VEVO and YouTube. Bringing the in-concert and at-home viewing experiences to new heights, "American Express Unstaged" showcases some of the music industry's most breakthrough artists playing at landmark venues across the country, while tapping some of today's most influential filmmakers to direct the live-streams and using digital and social media to connect the online audience to the live shows in unexpected ways. "American Express Unstaged" has generated nearly 60 million total streams for all six artists' performances.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/companies/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
VEVO is the world's leading all-premium music video and entertainment platform with offices in New York, London, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit and San Francisco. VEVO is available in the United States, Canada and United Kingdom through VEVO.com, Mobile & Tablet Apps (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry PlayBook), Connected Television (Google TV, Boxee) and user embeddable video players. VEVO powers music videos on artist pages across Facebook, as well as syndicates to dozens of online sites, including AOL, BET, CBS Interactive Music Group (including Last.fm and MP3.com), Fuse.tv and Univision. Additionally, through a special partnership with YouTube, VEVO is accessible in over 200 countries, expanding the platform's reach around the globe.
YouTube is the world's most popular online video community allowing millions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. Our mission is for YOU to discover and shape the world through video. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small. YouTube, LLC is based in San Bruno, CA and is a subsidiary of Google Inc.