American Express has officially announced all finalists of "My Movie Pitch," a contest launched earlier this year that will bring one unique independent movie idea to life as a short film during the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival. The first five finalists selected earlier this fall, along with four newly announced finalists from Round Two, submitted fun, quirky and unique movie pitch ideas via amexfilm.com in hopes of seeing their idea brought to life by an independent film director. The American Express panel of Tribeca Film directors, along with thousands of film enthusiasts who voted online, selected the final pitches to advance to the Grand Prize Judging period.
The winning pitch, selected from one of the nine finalists (five from Round One and four from Round Two), along with the Tribeca Film director who will be creating the film, will be announced in December. All finalists will receive a Filmmaker Toolkit, featuring a laptop computer, movie editing software package and portable video camera. The grand-prize winner will receive a trip for two to New York City to attend the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival as a VIP and the ultimate grand prize: to see his/her story made into an independent short film.
"At American Express, we are about supporting the art of storytelling and supporting great artists, whether established or up-and-coming," said Jessica Igoe, Vice President Global Sponsorship and Event Marketing, American Express. "This competition enabled film enthusiasts across the country to tell their stories and whether they were emotional, humorous and everything in between, 'My Movie Pitch' gave an incredible platform that allowed those voices to be heard."
The first set of finalists from Round One and their ideas:
- "Gesundheit" -- Every sneeze is deadly in this original disaster movie.
- "Mr. Stache" -- An often dark drama about a man and his mustache.
- Ms. Spring 101's "Psychic" -- In this comedy, a psychic foresees the strange future of marriages.
- "Doppleganger" -- A race of aliens steal complete human identities in this sci-fi thriller.
- "Chalklines" -- A man encounters some sinister scribbles in this unexpected film.
The second set of finalists from Round Two and their ideas:
- "Placebo 56" - In this sci-fi thriller, mankind's only hope against a global plague rests in one man who soon finds himself fighting for his own survival.
- "Beyond The Grave" - A paranormal investigator is aided by the spirit of a young man, only to find himself ensnared in the twisted games of a serial killer who can't even be stopped by death.
- "The Auction" - A distraught man tries to start anew by selling his entire life to the highest bidder, but it seems the buyers have even more to run from.
- "Let's Have Church" - A documentary about the role of the theater of worship in America across religious denominations.
To learn more about My Movie Pitch and American Express' continuing support of great storytelling through independent cinema and Tribeca Film, visit www.amexfilm.com.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, twitter.com/americanexpress and youtube.com/americanexpress.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. and DC, who are the age of majority in their state of residence (19 in NE and AL, 21 in MS and 18 years of age or older everywhere else) at the time of entry, and have a YouTube account. YouTube accounts are free. Entries for Cycle I will be accepted between May 27, 2010 at 9:00:00 AM ET and June 24, 2010 at 11:59:59 PM ET and for Cycle II between August 15, 2010 at 9:00:00 AM ET and September 15, 2010 at 11:59:59 PM ET. Prizes: Cycle Winners (9 total, 1 prize each): one "Filmmaker Toolkit" which consists of: one laptop computer, one movie editing software package, and one portable video camera. ARV: $3,500.00 each; Grand Prize: A trip for two (2) to the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. ARV: $4,828.00. See Official Rules, which govern, for complete details, including submission requirements, use of entries, judging criteria and procedures, and prize details. Official Rules are available at www.youtube.com/americanexpress. Void where prohibited. Sponsor: American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., American Express Tower, World Financial Center, New York, New York 10285. Tribeca Enterprises LLC (including its subsidiaries and affiliated companies) is not responsible for the collection, submission or processing of entries, the administration of this Contest or the selection of winners. YouTube is not a sponsor of or in any way affiliated with this Contest.