American Express revealed today the five finalists selected from Round One of My Movie Pitch, a contest launched earlier this year that will bring one unique independent movie idea to life during the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival. Viewers voted for their favorites and the American Express panel of directors -- whose films are being distributed through Tribeca Film -- selected five finalists. These finalists will receive a Filmmaker Toolkit, featuring a laptop computer, movie editing software package and portable video camera and will remain in the running for the ultimate grand prize: the winning movie idea made into a short film to debut at the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival.
The first set of finalists and their ideas are:
- "Gesundheit" -- Every sneeze is deadly in this original disaster movie.
- "Mr. Stache" -- An often dark drama about a man and his mustache.
- Ms. Spring 101's "Psychic" -- In this comedy, a psychic foresees the strange future of marriages.
- "Doppleganger" -- A race of aliens steal complete human identities in this sci-fi thriller.
- "Chalklines" -- A man encounters some sinister scribbles in this unexpected film.
"From psychics to sneezing, we received a wide variety of unique and quirky movie pitches through American Express' My Movie Pitch,' said Jessica Igoe, Director of Global Sponsorship Marketing, American Express. "These five wildly different submissions quickly became viral sensations with fans on our site, and we are thrilled that together with the panel of Tribeca Film Directors, we have selected them as our Round One finalists."
The announcement coincides with the start of Round Two of My Movie Pitch. Starting August 16 through September 15, aspiring filmmakers have another chance to submit their 60-second movie pitch ideas at www.amexfilm.com. The general public and the American Express panel of Tribeca Film directors will again vote for and select the second set of five finalists.
My Movie Pitch: Take Two
- Pitch Your Movie: From August 16 to September 15, you have another chance to win. Upload your 60-second movie pitch at www.amexfilm.com.
- Vote for the Best: From September 16 to October 15, film fans everywhere are encouraged to visit www.amexfilm.com and rate pitches with a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down."
- The Judges Weigh In: From October 16 to October 30, American Express' panel of Tribeca Film directors will judge entries based on creativity/originality of the movie pitch and its delivery, popular vote and overall box office potential. Five winners will each receive the Filmmaker Toolkit and move on to the Grand Prize Winner judging period.
The Final Cut: Grand Prize Winner Selection
On December 1, 2010, the American Express panel of Tribeca Film directors will select one of the 10 finalists (five from Round One and five from Round Two) to receive the grand prize and see their dream movie idea made into a reality by a celebrated independent filmmaker. The grand prize winner will receive a trip for two to New York City to attend the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival as a VIP and see their story brought to life on the big screen. The winning film director is set to be announced later this year.
To learn more about My Movie Pitch and American Express' continuing support of great storytelling through independent cinema and Tribeca Film, visit www.amexfilm.com.
Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. and DC, who are the age of majority in their state of residence (19 in NE and AL, 21 in MS and 18 years of age or older everywhere else) at the time of entry, and have a YouTube account. YouTube accounts are free. Entries for Cycle I will be accepted between May 27, 2010 at 9:00:00 AM ET and June 24, 2010 at 11:59:59 PM ET and for Cycle II between August 15, 2010 at 9:00:00 AM ET and September 15, 2010 at 11:59:59 PM ET. Prizes: Cycle Winners (10 total, 1 prize each): one "Filmmaker Toolkit" which consists of: one laptop computer, one movie editing software package, and one portable video camera. ARV: $3,500.00 each; Grand Prize: A trip for two (2) to the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. ARV: $4,828.00. See Official Rules, which govern, for complete details, including submission requirements, use of entries, judging criteria and procedures, and prize details. Official Rules are available at www.youtube.com/americanexpress. Void where prohibited. Sponsor: American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., American Express Tower, World Financial Center, New York, New York 10285. Tribeca Enterprises LLC (including its subsidiaries and affiliated companies) is not responsible for the collection, submission or processing of entries, the administration of this Contest or the selection of winners. YouTube is not a sponsor of or in any way affiliated with this Contest.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, twitter.com/americanexpress and youtube.com/americanexpress.