Make Mine a Million $ Business, the only national initiative committed to helping post start-up women entrepreneurs grow million-dollar firms, announced the 38 program awardees, up from 27 in 2008, who succeeded in growing their businesses past the $1 million revenue level in 2009 this year. The elite group of women business owners saw a nearly flawless retention rate as just one entrepreneur dropped off the 2009 list -- in spite of the recent economic climate.
Make Mine a Million $ Business, a program of Count Me In for Women's Economic Independence, the leading national not-for-profit provider of business resources and community support for women entrepreneurs seeking to grow micro businesses to million dollar enterprises, and founding partner American Express OPEN, is helping to inspire thousands of women to grow and prosper as the country emerges from recession.
"The perseverance of the women in this elite group is infectious," said Nell Merlino, founder and president of Count Me In. "The entrepreneurs in our community are the go-getting innovators who don't take no for an answer and are determined to build successful companies that thrive and survive in this economy."
"The accomplishments of these women business leaders will remind small business owners everywhere what is possible when faced with obstacles," said Sophia Lundberg, vice president, American Express OPEN. "On average, women hire three to six people when they grow to $1 million in revenue. Crossing this threshold is not just good news for these women entrepreneurs, they are also helping stimulate the economy by creating jobs nationwide."
The next Make Mine a Million $ Business event will be held June 15 at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark, NJ. Women who want to grow their businesses can learn more about the program by visiting http://www.makemineamillion.org/.
The Make Mine a Million $ Business Club:
- Tammy Adler of QWANtify, Inc.
Madison, WI-based information technology professional services organization specializing in developing, delivering and integrating custom business software
- Colleen Bonniol of MODE Studios, Inc.
Seattle, WA-based company specializing in the application of multimedia and lighting design
- Maureen Borzacchiello of Creative Display Solutions, Inc.
Long Island, NY-based company specializing in trade show displays, graphics and event exhibits
- Leah Brown of Aten Solutions, Inc. (A10)
Cary, NC-based national clinical trials staffing company
- Amelia Case of Universal Health Institute
Chicago, IL-based medical center that provides a unique combination of drug free, non-surgical traditional and alternative therapies
- Amelia Ceja of Ceja Vineyards
Napa, CA-based ultra-premium family-owned winery
- Sandy Corso of Peaceful Company
Madison, CT-based online retailing company
- Theresa Daytner of Daytner Construction Group
Mount Airy, MD-based commercial construction consulting group
- Allison Evanow of Square One Organic Spirits, LLC
Novato, CA-based developer and marketer of organic spirits
- Claire Evans of amaZulu, Inc.
Winter Garden, FL-based supplier of natural and synthetic tropical theming materials
- Molly Fuller and Anne McCarten-Gibbs of Hands On Gourmet, LLC
San Francisco, CA-based cooking party company
- Theresa Hinton of Comprehensive Consulting
Louisville, KY-based company that provides medical utilization review and medical case management
- Adele Horowitz of Licenders, Inc.
Brooklyn, NY-based lice removal, Natural Product Line
- Debra Johnson of Eco-Edge, LLC
Chandler, AZ-based firm that helps diesel fleets and industrial operations function more efficiently and become more environmentally friendly
- Virginia Jones of Kinetic Electric Group LLC
Laurinburg, NC-based electrical contracting group serving the military, institutions and commercial customers
- Lynne Lambert of Prak Productions, Inc.
Chappaqua, NY-based licensed sportswear & accessories company
- Fiona Macaulay of Making Cents International, Inc.
Washington, D.C.-based consulting firm committed to job creation and improved livelihoods and opportunities through training and services for entrepreneurs
- Tamara Mangum-Thomas of Sharpened Image, Inc.
Newark, NJ-based Human Resource Management Solutions provider designed to enhance workplace productivity
- Bonnie Marcus of Bonnie Marcus & Co.
A Westport, CT-based invitation and greeting card company specializing in chic, stylish greeting cards and invitations
- Kimberly Martinez and Lisa Harrington of Bonitas International LLC
Englewood, FL-based manufacturer of beaded ID Lanyards, retractable badge reel jewelry and eyeglass holders
- Laurie Meyers of Coupon $ense Inc.
Chandler, AZ-based coupon education service
- Suzanne Miller of SPM Communications
Southlake, TX-based public relations agency
- Marie Moody of Stella & Chewy's, LLC
Muskego, WI-based organize dog food company
- Robin Moorad of Imago Associates
Berkeley, CA-based furniture rehab and resale company
- Caryn Neary Delgaizo and Erica Lyon of Realbirth Education Center
New York, NY-based pregnancy education company
- Garnett Newcombe of Human Potential Consultants, LLC
Carson, CA-based employment solutions company
- Doris Ng of GingeRootz Asian Grille
Appleton, WI-based Asian restaurant
- Elizabeth Perelstein of School Choice International Inc.
Mamaroneck, NY-based global educational consulting firm working with families being relocated
- Rebecca Reichardt of Tazzina Bistro
Woodland, CA-based local restaurant
- Linda Remeschatis of Wisconsinmade LLC
Verona, WI -based online retail of Wisconsin products
- Cynthia Rubio of Radiant RFID
Austin, TX-based provider of RFID solutions for tracking assets and people in emergencies
- Gina Stern of d_parture spa
Newark, NJ-based business that runs three full service spas located in airport terminals
- Dawn Stokes of Texas Driving Experience
Fort Worth, TX-based high performance driving school held at the Texas Motor Speedway
- Maribeth Vander Weele of Vander Weele Group, LLC
Chicago, IL -based security consulting services
- Sandi Webster and Peggy McHale of Consultants 2 Go, LLC
Newark, NJ-based consulting firm that provides marketing and analytic solutions to Fortune 500 companies
- Susan Wilson of The Judgment Group
Stevensville, MD-based professional judgment enforcement firm
- Kris Wittenberg of SayNoMore! Promotions
Eagle, CO-based promotional products agency
- Doreen Zayer of Relax On Cloud 9
Staten Island, NY -based spa
About Count Me In
Count Me In for Women's Economic Independence is the leading national not-for-profit provider of resources, business education and community support for women entrepreneurs seeking to grow micro businesses to million dollar enterprises. Count Me In launched Make Mine a Million $ Business® to inspire one million women entrepreneurs to scale their businesses to a million dollars in revenue by providing tools, skills and the support of a nation-wide community of peers.
About American Express OPEN
American Express OPEN is the leading payment card issuer for small businesses in the United States and supports business owners with products and services to help them run and grow their businesses. This includes business charge and credit cards that deliver purchasing power, flexibility, rewards, savings on business services from an expanded lineup of partners and online tools and services designed to help improve profitability. Learn more at OPEN.com and connect with us at openforum.com and twitter.com/openforum.
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at www.americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, twitter.com/americanexpress and youtube.com/americanexpress.