Enhances Experiences by Bringing Back Radio Live at the US Open and Partnership for Official US Open iPhone Application NEW YORK,Â August 23, 2010 --Â
Now in its 17th year as a partner of the US Open, American Express is continuing to offer Cardmembers, fans and tennis aficionados a new perspective to experience the exhilaration of the 2010 US Open and the players who are changing the face of the game. American Express launched a new site today, NextContenders.com, where tennis enthusiasts are invited to go behind the scenes during the Open and see what it is like for fast-rising tennis stars John Isner, Sam Querrey, Caroline Wozniacki and Melanie Oudin to train, strive and contend to be the future of the sport.
To further enhance Cardmembers' experiences throughout the US Open (August 30 - September 12), American Express is also bringing back fan favorites Radio Live and the official US Open iPhone application, helping to deliver unparalleled access.
"We know our Cardmembers are passionate about tennis, and we are committed to bringing them closer to the sport they love with unique experiences and a fresh perspective on the game," said Jessica Igoe, Director of Global Sponsorship Marketing, American Express. "This year, we are inviting tennis fans across the country to experience the game through the eyes of rising tennis stars John Isner, Sam Querrey, Caroline Wozniacki and Melanie Oudin with NextContenders.com and on a local level with "Fresh Courts," a new program in partnership with the USTA that provides funding to refurbish tennis facilities in underserved communities."
American Express is helping Cardmembers and fans to get closer to tennis through unique on-site, and online, access:
- American Express' NextContenders.com: Tennis enthusiasts can follow rising tennis stars John Isner, Sam Querrey, Caroline Wozniacki and Melanie Oudin as they train for the US Open with exclusive behind-the-scenes footage giving a glimpse into their personal lives; learn about the signature shot that has defined their game; hear interviews from the players and their coaches and family; and get insider commentary and player insights over the course of the tournament.
- American Express® Radio Live at the US Open: Complimentary for Cardmembers, the Radios allow fans to listen to play-by-play commentary and match updates on CBS, ESPN2 and the Tennis Channel while they watch the action live from the courts. Fans can also hear special live interviews and player spotlights on John Isner, Sam Querrey, Caroline Wozniacki and Melanie Oudin, who share their personal stories of triumph, disappointment and inspiration on and off the court.
- Official iPhone Application of the US Open: American Express has partnered with the USTA and IBM for the second year to offer all tennis fans the official US Open iPhone application to access an insider's guide with live scores, game highlights and USOpen.org's live radio commentary. Special American Express features include an interactive grounds map highlighting American Express Cardmember benefits, video content with pro players John Isner, Sam Querrey, Caroline Wozniacki and Melanie Oudin, and "Ask the Booth," that also allows users to submit questions that will be answered by tennis insiders throughout the tournament on USOpen.org Radio.
- USOpen.org Radio, Presented by American Express: Through this internet radio broadcast, tennis fans can enjoy the energy of the tournament even while away from the courts. The highlights show features hourly updates on players and captures insights and commentary.
- US Open Guest Information hosted by American Express: Comprehensive tournament information, along with on-site restaurant and transportation assistance offered by American Express, will help attendees make the most of their experience at the tournament and stay in the know about all of the exciting activities surrounding them.
- American Express Concierge Booth: Exclusive for Cardmembers, concierge representatives can help with all your tournament needs from making reservations to downloading the Official US Open iPhone application for you. Merchandise bag check will also be available so Cardmembers can enjoy the Open with ease.
- Madison Square Park US Open Viewing hosted by ZYNC from American Express(SM): Bringing back a favorite from years past, ZYNC from American Express will be transforming Madison Square Park into its largest ZYNC Zone yet, providing attendees the ultimate tennis experience with giant viewing screens, local NYC-area concessions, an interactive photo booth and ping pong tournaments sponsored by SPiN New York, the table-tennis social club.
Along with these exciting on-site experiences, American Express also recently announced a new partnership with the USTA called "Fresh Courts," which will help renovate existing, disrepaired tennis facilities in Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and New York.
To purchase tickets to the US Open, call 1-866-OPEN-TIX or visit www.usopen.org or www.ticketmaster.com. Cardmembers enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program can use points to purchase tickets to the US Open. To learn more about American Express' special access to premiere sporting events across the country and other entertainment offers visit americanexpress.com/entertainment.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, twitter.com/americanexpress and youtube.com/americanexpress.
The USTA is the national governing body for the sport of tennis in the U.S. and the leader in promoting and developing the growth of tennis at every level from local communities to the highest level of the professional game. A not-for-profit organization with 740,000 members, it invests 100% of its proceeds in growing the game. It owns and operates the US Open, and launched the Olympus US Open Series linking 10 summer tournaments to the US Open. In addition, it owns the 90-plus Pro Circuit events throughout the U.S., is a minority owner and promotional partner of World TeamTennis, and selects the teams for the Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Olympic and Paralympic Games. USTA Serves, the National Charitable Foundation of the USTA, provides financial support for disadvantaged youth and people with disabilities through tennis and education programs. For more information on the USTA, log on to usta.com.