Let's Be Green2Gether!
April 17, 2017
It’s Earth Month, and everywhere people are focusing on activities that will help our planet. American Express is no exception.
In the past few years, we have taken measurable actions to reduce our global carbon footprint, optimize the efficiency and sustainability of our workplace, support our customers in reducing their own environmental footprints, and encourage our suppliers and employees to act in more sustainable ways.
We reduced our carbon emissions by 27.5 percent between 2007 and 2012, and building on this achievement, we committed to reducing our greenhouse gas emissions by 10 percent by the end of 2016 versus our 2011 baseline.
I’m happy to report that we more than exceeded that goal, reducing our carbon footprint by over 35% during the last five year period.
Other programs and achievements in 2016 include:
- Improving the efficiency and environmental profile of our buildings: more than 50 percent of our global real estate portfolio is green-building certified.
- Investing in renewable energy: we purchased more than 150,000 million kilowatt hours of green power and 100 percent or the electricity powering our data centers was carbon-free.
- Reducing paper usage in our business processes and sourcing environmentally preferable paper, electronics and other commodities.
- Engaging our employees in our environmental responsibility programs through our Green2Gether program.
We have been recognized externally for our progress in this sustainability journey. Examples include:
- American Express ranked 63rd among the top U.S. green companies in the 2016 Newsweek Green Ranking.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recognized American Express as a top user of sustainable energy since 2014.
Recently, 80 percent of our facilities in 22 countries participated in the 2017 Earth Hour on March 25, saving over 7,000 kilowatt hours of electricity and 3,600 kilograms of carbon.
We’ll be announcing a new carbon reduction goal shortly so stay tuned for that news, and let’s all be Green2Gether this month!
If you have a question or comment, please share it on Twitter at @timmcclimon and I will respond there. Thanks for reading and sharing this blog posting with friends and colleagues.
Welcome to CSR Now!, a weekly blog designed to get at what’s happening in Corporate Social Responsibility today – from the point of view of a corporate practitioner.
11 Reasons to Support the Arts
Let’s Keep it Blue Together
Iconic Houses: Celebrating Modern Architectural Marvels