These 16 Historic Places Need Your Help Today!
May 18, 2012
Our last post focused on the four historic sites that are on the top of the list of 40 sites that are competing for $3 million in preservation grants through the
Partners in Preservation Program in New York City (Brooklyn Public Library, Congregation Beth Elohim, New York Botanical Garden and Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum).
Today, we're featuring the 16 sites that are stuck at the bottom of the list with 1% of the vote each. While they have little chance of overtaking the leaders in the popular vote (which closes Monday, May 21 at midnight), all is not lost for these historic sites. They have two ways of winning grants from the program: 1) to be selected by the local advisory committee when it meets on June 12, and 2) to be one of the most improved vote-getters this week.
As a way of encouraging those organizations that are at the bottom of the list, and the voters who love them, we have been awarding an extra $10,000 to the site that improves the most during each week, and you have one last chance to help an organization improve the most in the voting period from May 17 at 12:00 noon to May 21 at 12:00 noon. That means that you can help one of these sites get instant support from the program, but you have to act now – right now!
The 16 lowest vote-getters in rank order as of Friday, May 18 are:
25. Queens County Farm Museum (Queens)
26. Japan Society (Manhattan)
27. George Washington at Federal Hall (Manhattan)
28. Astoria Pool (Queens)
29. Erasmus Hall Campus (Brooklyn)
30. Rossville AME Zion Church (Staten Island)
31. Weeksville (Brooklyn)
32. Ellis Island South Side Hospitals (Manhattan)
33. High Line (Manhattan)
34. Caribbean Cultural Center (Manhattan)
35. Gateway National Recreation Area (Brooklyn)
36. Rocket Thrower (Queens)
37. Flushing Town Hall (Queens)
38. Greenpoint Manufacturing and Design Center (Brooklyn)
39. Duo Multicultural Arts Center (Manhattan)
40. Mind-Builders Creative Arts Center (Bronx)
Remember, even if you have never voted in this program, you can vote today at partnersinpreservation.com or on Facebook/PartnersinPreservation. Vote now and help one of these 16 sites win $10,000 from American Express today!
If you have a story about one of these historic sites that you would like to share, please do so here.
P.S. Did you know that American Express just announced $1 million in preservation grants to six historic sites on the World Monuments Watch List?